New York City in United State is the most visited state in the country and among one of the most visited cities in the world. People from all over the world visit the city to experience it vibrancy, its fast pace and its unique mix of cultures. The sheer size of the city is fascinating. Due to the rise in tourism of the city over the last few years hundreds of hotels and resorts have been opened in the city that offer New York all inclusive packages.
There are endless number of places to visit and things to do in the city. There are activities for families, couples and kids of all ages. Many people visit New York just to visit the museums in the city. The city has so many different museums that it isn’t possible to visit them all. Given below is a list of some of the best museums in New York City:
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the most visited museums in the city. The museum has a collection of more than two million art pieces that have been collected from around the world over the centuries and is definitely worth a visit.
- The Whitney Museum of American Art has an interesting collection of American art from the 20th century. The museum has various different exhibits showcasing the works of some very popular artists as well as some lesser known artists that have produced impressive work.
- The Solomon R Guggenheim museum is an architectural landmark in the city. The museum has an impressive collection of contemporary, impressionist, post-impressionist and early modern art. Art lovers from around the world visit the museum to enjoy its beautiful collection.
- The Rose Center for Earth and Space is a fabulous state of the art museum has the best technologically advanced space theater in the world. The planetarium and the Big Bang Theater here are awe inspiring.
- The Intrepid Sea Air Space museum is located inside a fighter jet perched on the deck of the U.S.S Intrepid. The museum has an exhibit on armed forces and space programs.
- The American Museum of Moving image provides a unique experience with its interactive computer programs and exhibits, video and audio shows and history of the film and television media.
- The Ellis Island Immigration Museum has a huge collection of photographs, memoirs, archives and recordings of the immigrants that have migrated to the city since 1892. The museum gives a glimpse into the life of an immigrant and what it meant to come to New York City.
- The Museum of Modern Art is one of the most important museums in the city with a huge collection of paintings, sculptures, furniture and artifacts collected from the 1880s to the present.
The museums mentioned above were only a few of the most well known museums in the city. New York has plenty of other museums, interesting as well as bizarre to captivate and educate the visitors.
See these museums in the map